Sunday, January 11, 2015

My Great Perhaps

      One of my favorite books is Looking For Alaska by John Green, and in this book when Miles is about to go off to boarding school in Alabama he quotes the poet Francois Rabelais' last words "I go to seek a Great Perhaps" and that explains my trip to Oxford perfectly. I'm going to seek my own Great Perhaps.

      While most of the perhaps' in my head are worst case scenarios involving death or humiliation, some of them are nice though, like museums, libraries, and London.

      However, if i'm still comparing myself to Miles in Looking For Alaska, his 'Great Perhaps' turned out to be (Spoiler alert!) the tragic death of the friend he had a massive crush on. So that isn't helping with the worst case scenarios i've got going. Watching the Hobbit trilogy wasn't all that helpful either since I identify with Bilbo, as a person who usually stays at home going on a crazy adventure, and his story ends with death and a lonely trip home.

Literary discouragement aside, I'm really looking forward to this trip! I'm excited to go to a country I have admired since childhood and getting to take some new classes and see lots of two of my favorite things

1.museums

2. libraries

However this trip will also involve two of my least favorite things

1. social situations where i'm under pressure to appear friendly and likable

2. navigating places i've never been before

However, I think I will be able to overcome these grave difficulties to have a really good time. And if someone does die in the fashion of literary best sellers, at least I will be able to write about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment